Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Transitions: New RV Studio Tour

I am writing this post a day late. I took yesterday “off” for my mom’s birthday. It was her first birthday where she wasn’t here with us. It was a tough day, for sure, but we kept busy with homestead projects. I’m not certain I’m dealing with her loss in the healthiest way, but I’m making do and coping. 

 

Mixed in with the homestead projects this week have been preparations for the arrival of my husband’s parents and also an exciting new studio move. Those who have been following my art journey on Facebook and Instagram will know that my first “studio” space was a desk area in our kitchen. As I got to working more regularly, the materials and associated mess expanded, so last year my husband suggested I take over the guest bedroom. That area also became somewhat “small” for the materials and work, but I had plenty of table space for office work and framing paintings. I was rather content there, BUT every time we had family visit and stay, the space had to be converted back into a guest bedroom. 



A desk in my kitchen was a great start

I was so thankful to take over
the guest bedroom for a while

Recently my husband had a crazy, wonderful idea that we could get a travel trailer, RV type space to be a studio. At his urging I looked around online and actually found a 1996 Dutchmen 5th wheel RV. The folks who owned it before me began a renovation of the space, but it wasn’t quite completed. It cost less than a newer model which should allow me to complete renovations and maybe even add solar panels and a composting toilet. My lovely husband hit two birds with one stone, because I have been looking at tiny houses for years now, so this new studio space satisfies my yearning for a tiny house of my own. 

 

My wonderful father and our dear friends Bill and Josh helped to change the hitch to work with the ball hitch in my dad’s pick-up truck, and the new studio arrived here at our place last Friday. It will need some work, but I’ve been able to move in most of my art materials. There are great storage cupboards, cubbies, and closets, and the middle area is tall enough for my easel. I honestly would never have dreamed of having a separate studio space any time soon, so I’m so excited to get to work and am still a bit in shock that it has worked out. I look forward to sharing the renovations and studio updates with you!


Here comes the studio on Papi's truck

The mid point is tall enough for my easel
  
The kitchen and booth areas

My canvases fit nicely in the closet

I can even fit books in the cabinets

What is your "studio" space like? Do you use your kitchen table, a desk in the living room, a guest bedroom? How do you navigate space and time for art making? I'd love to hear how others are handling their art creation spaces!

2 comments:

Robin said...

Brilliant solution!

KPaynedeChavez said...

Thanks!! I’m hoping to share updates as I adapt to the new space. ☺️