Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Living Slowly


I had planned to have some work in progress photos to share, and while that could be lovely, I’ve honestly not had a lot of time to spare lately. My mother and father-in-law have come up from Peru for an extended visit, and while they are very helpful, it’s a busy season here on the homestead. Having two additional adults who need to eat their main meal around 1-2PM has shifted my entire daily schedule. Add to that other friends and family day-trip visits on account of the warm summer weather, and my routines are often disrupted. 

 

It would be easy to just throw my hands up and not continue to live intentionally. To just say, “Screw it, whatever,” and just live in a reaction mode. I find that to be counterproductive in reducing anxiety. I was speaking with my brother recently about our mother’s propensity for finding four-leaf clovers. My nephew and I both appear to have inherited the ability, and something he said to me struck me as being true for me too. He said that if he sets out looking specifically for four-leaf clovers, he doesn’t find them. Think about that for a moment, when he makes it his purpose to just look for them, he doesn’t find any. 

 

When we take the time to slow down while doing our daily chores or while spending time with family, if we relax our minds to be present in the moment, wherever we are, then we can see the four-leaf clovers amidst the hundreds of regular three-leafers. When I’m not so focused on getting from point A to point B, making a meal because it has to be done, bathing a baby because she has to be bathed, but I take the time to exist in that moment, on that day, on this trip around the sun, there is a richness of detail – the aroma of fresh ginger, the wet curls on my daughter’s head, the tiny veins on a clover leaf – that I would miss completely in my rush. 

 

How do you take time to live intentionally, to live slowly, each day? 


 

No comments: