Wednesday, July 17, 2019

A Day in June


SO on with the show. I had hoped to post this on June 14, but a once a week habit will have to do for now. Life being what life is – complicated!

In June I took some photos during a typically busy day here on Shepherd’s Flock Farm. We were in the midst of harvesting Music garlic, playing (I have two sons), and making hay. My oldest son noticed ripe wild Black Raspberries on the bushes, so I had to transition to harvesting the berries despite having laid other plans. We call that “Farm Time” around here. Sometimes a happy occurrence like ripe berries shifts your focus for a time. Sometimes a storm knocks a tree down across the road or a neighbor’s driveway, and that has to be dealt with before moving on to other projects. To live in close communion with nature means you will be kept on your toes with regularity.


Garden (west) - the rain has made for
healthy weeds in the garden this year


Garden (east) - regular weeding of beds
to rescue overwhelmed desireable plants helps

Garlic Harvest - I use a spadefork to loosen the
Music Garlic and then gently pull up each bulb for drying



Garlic Harvest - I borrowed Mom's cart to
haul garlic up for bundling/hanging out to dry


My boys have a garden bed dedicated to play

Occasionally they find tiny friends in the garden.
We examine them and then let them go.


Making hay - the activity for the afternoon


Making hay - Papi used a square baler to make hay on our
south field. Some of our friends and neighbors came over
to help out.


Some long, hot, sunny days have sweet endings.
While everyone else went to the barn to unload the hay bales,
I stayed and harvested wild Black Raspberries from
the perimeter of the field. Delicious!!!