Friday, August 16, 2019

Garden Update! (Mid-August 2019)


Weeds, weeds, and more weeds, my kingdom for a weed wacker!

But seriously, from a very rainy start, we’ve moved on to the sultry days of late June/early August. I’ve had a pretty busy week what with the birthday party and the actual birthday family dinner and swim lessons, coordinating chicken pick-ups and egg drop-offs, and being pregnant - pretty par for the course around here really. I’ve also recently been offered a part-time off-homestead job working with English Language Learner (ELL) students, so I’m preparing and excited about that as well.

While I’ve been occupied with all of that, my papi has been mowing and weed wacking like a maniac, and my mom has been super busy tending the garden. She is a gardening goddess really, so I thought I’d treat you all to a short, end-of-week post with garden update photos. Hope you enjoy!

Sometimes the dill plants itself - this blossom that was bright
yellow in June is now brown and depositing dill seeds
each time it is bumped or shaken

The tomato and pepper plants are
finally beginning to produce!

Jalapeños - mom weeded this bed, but the
weeds are encroaching from the paths

Some beds are still covered in plastic
to "control the weeds"
It's safe to say the plastic has had only
limited success longterm



Broccoli (and weeds)

More broccoli (and more weeds!)

Beautifully weeded tomato bed,
compliments of mom
The hover flies are being truly obnoxious
around this bed today

Beets - also weeded by mom
(are you sensing a theme???)

Cabbage bed and two beds covered with scraps of
landscaping cloth (seems to work better than the regular
plastic)
AKA I weeded a bed, it's a miracle!!!


Everbearing Strawberries -
the plants where I weeded are producing well,
but I need to weed the rest of the bed for
a third time

Green tomatoes are coming on - can't
wait to make some tomato sauce

I used some of the landscaping cloth to
kill grass and make a path to the far end
of the garden